I love travelling and seeing new places and recently as I have been doing it more and more I have come to realise some of my favourite things about it and I thought I would take this time to share them with you!
- Architecture- I adore architecture. It’s actually not even funny anymore that architecture is what can make or break a place for me. Okay, maybe that’s a bit extreme but you get the picture. I love going to a new place and just standing still and taking in all the beautiful buildings and pondering on how much work must have gone into designing and constructing them. For instance, I was in the cinema with my family only recently watching the new Mission Impossible movie and there was a really good car chase going on and while I was cheering on my favourite characters I took a moment or two to think “wow” when I noticed the buildings that were featured in the film as the cars whizzed through the streets of Paris. I was so much taken by it that I even whispered my admiration to my Mam in the middle of the movie. Yes, I know, I’m that annoying person that talks during films and practically gives a running commentary of what’s going on.
- People- I love meeting new people when I’m on holidays, even fellow tourists or passers by on the street. They all have a story to tell and sometimes you can strike up the most interesting conversations with them!
- Food- I’ll be honest about this one. I’m not overly adventurous when it comes to trying new foods but I am trying my best to do it more often because it’s something I am growing to enjoy. When I was in Budapest with my family I spent one of the days with my friend who is from there and we went to a Hungarian restaurant that sold traditional Hungarian dishes. The food there was divine. I definitely enjoy trying traditional dishes of the countries I go to visit.
- Clothes- I don’t know about you but I love purchasing a couple of new outfits to wear when I go on holidays. There’s something exciting about selecting them in the shop and wearing them in a new place and taking lots of holidays snaps while wearing them. My usual purchase will be a few new tops and maybe a new pair of jeans and on a rare occasion maybe a skirt or dress, if you’re lucky!
- Photographs- I LOVE taking photographs of just about anything and everything and when you’re out and about travelling it’s the perfect excuse to take absolutely TONS of photographs.
- Scenery- There’s some beautiful scenery across the world and I’d love to travel more and see it. It’s a lovely feeling to just look around you and take in the beautiful mountains and rivers in a completely different place. My favourite place to do this was in Italy. We took a cable car up to the Dolomites when we were in Italy and got to stand up on the mountain with snow surrounding us. It was unreal.
- Inspiration- I can’t deny that travelling to new places can spark inspiration for blog posts and story ideas which is dead handy!
- Language- I love languages, it was always my favourite thing at school, much preferred them to maths or geography. I love picking up a couple of words of the native language of the country I’m visiting even if it’s just something small like “hello” or “thank you”. I feel like it’s really nice to know a little bit before you go to the country, I suppose it just adds that little bit extra to the experience. Plus, depending on how long you are staying there you can more than likely pick up a fair bit of the language while you are there. I am considering doing Erasmus for my third university year and depending on where I am going I would like to try and learn some of the language to be able to communicate with my classmates, professors and the locals. At the moment I speak Irish and Spanish as well as English of course and teeny tiny bit of French!!
Thanks so much for reading my post. I hope you enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it. I’m trying to make my posts a little longer in length. Is that something you’d be up for once in a while? This one is over seven hundred words long which is unusual for me!
What is your favourite thing about travelling?