So for the past week or so I’ve been sitting exams which here in Ireland we call The Leaving Cert. I study seven subjects: Irish, English, Maths, Spanish, history, geography and business studies. There are two maths, english and Irish papers.
Do any of you have exams coming up?
They’re going okay, well English did. Except from one or two things I wish I’d added in! I always do that, it does my head in. I leave an exam and then go through it all, reliving it and realising my mistakes. Do you do this too? I definitely recommend not doing it. I’m really trying to get out of this habit as it really doesn’t help.
There were a few tricky questions in maths but I’m really hoping that I did well enough. Geography was very hard! I was never much good at geography even in primary school but I’ve put so much work into it over the years to improve that I do hope it will pay off even a little.
I have maths paper 2 left, history, business,two irish papers and business. Needless to say I’ve spent my weekend trying to revise as much as I can!
I find it’s so easy to get stressed about exams…there’s the worry of you’ll get all the questions done on time or if you’ll remember everything and then there’s the fear of getting too stressed out.
I have a few things I like to do when I go to an exam and before it to try relax myself and do my best in the exam. I thought this post would be a good way to share these tips in case any of you get stressed during exams.
- Highlight what you know: If you do this before answering the questions it can really help. I was terrified before maths but when I did this it really helped calm me down. It shows that you can answer even some of the paper.
- Drink plenty of water: During the exam everyone can get really thirsty so it’s handy to have a large bottle of water with you on the day. I always find when I’m anxious I drink a oot of water especially when I’m panicky or find it hard to breathe.
- Brainstorm: This is similar to highlighting what you know. Before looking at the questions I like to write down any useful facts I need to know. You can do this after looking at the questions too as a way of planning your answers. I jotted down quotes for the English exam at the beginning. I’m hoping to do that tomorrow with Irish for phrases for the essay question as they’re pretty important
- Sleep and eat well: I find these both extremely hard to do especially on the day and the day beforw the exam as I am a bundle of nerves but if you can do them it makes the exam a lot easier. If this isn’t possible you may be allowed eat during the exam. I find my sugar levels drop half way through the exam sometimes so I like to eat a few sweets to keep me going.
- Believe in yourself: This is easier said than do but it is probably one of the most important ones as it cam make the others fall into place. You’ve put in the work and now it’s your time to shine and show the examiners all you know. They’re there to give you marks not take them away. You’ve got this!
Anyway that’s all for now. Sorry this post is very late but I was determined to get it up before the weekend ends at 12am!!! I need to get some sleep before the exams tomorrow morning so good luck to those you doing exams and I hope all you reading are keeping well.